Suppose you have a hard drive with a large capacity on your Windows 10 computer, but the drive is running out of space; meanwhile, you get some of your favorite items. At this moment, you definitely fall into a dilemma because you can’t delete those at the same time can’t store. To help you slightly, Windows 10 offers a built-in function named zip file.
Zipping files is one of the oldest but still widely used methods that help to save space on your hard drive. It does not only save the hard drive’s space but also transmits those files quickly. So, how to create a ZIP file in windows 10? In the following session, we will talk about this zip-creating matter without using any third-party apps.
Three straightforward methods of creating zip files
Method No. 1: Zip Files Using the Send To Menu
In this method, we will use the context menu to create zip files and folders.
1.At first, you need to choose the file or the folder that you need to compress. If you need to zip one file or folder, here we enlist two easy methods.
- For selecting a consecutive group of files or folders, you need to select the first items and then click on the last item by holding down the shift key. By that process, you can choose everything between the first to the last items.
- When you need to select non-consecutive files or folders, you need to choose the individual files and folder by holding down the Ctrl key.
2.Now, right-click on your desire file, folder, or group of files or folder, and then go to Send To and choose the Compressed (zipped) folder.
3.After that, give the ZIP file’s name and then press Enter button from the keyboard to finalize the filename.
Method No. 2: Zip One or More Files using the Ribbon Menu
Windows 10’s file explorer offers a Zip command in the Ribbon menu. This menu is useful for 2-in-1 laptop owners who feel comfortable tap to zip files instead of right-clicking. For this method, you need to:
- At first, you need to select your desire files or folders by following Method 1’s Send to instruction.
- Now, find the Share tab in the File Explorer and then click the Zip button.
Method No. 3: Add a File or Folder to an Existing ZIP File
In this method, you can add your desire files and folders to any of your existing ZIP files easily by selecting those and then drag them on the ZIP file.
- How to open a zip file on windows 10 using the drag and drop method?
By now, you know some methods of ZIP a file or a folder. Now, we will let you know the unzip process in the following.
- At first, you need to click twice on the zip file that you want to unzip. You can easily locate a zip file with its zipper icon.
- After that, your clicked zip file will open a folder and show you the inside items.
- If you want to transfer those items to another location, you need to select and then drag them wherever you want them to see those. You can place them in a new folder or anywhere on a desktop.
The file you unzip can use normally and also can delete after taking all those from the file.
- How to unzip files in Windows 10 with the zip wizard
- At first, you have to click on the zip file and right-click on it. After that, navigate the “Extract All…” from the drop-down menu, and then you can see the zip wizard.
- When you need to unzip the files to a different folder, you need to click the “Browse..” and then select a location.
- Finally, you need to click the “Extract,” and your file will be unzipped and also copied to your indicated folder.
A file or folder zip system is a computer’s hidden gem that helps a user save hard drive space and easy file transmission. Hopefully, we can clarify your query on how to create a zip file in Windows 10. Apart from the zip system, we also notify you of the unzip process. However, if anything is left unclear, feel free to inform us through the comment box.
Does Windows 10 have a Zip program?
Yes, Windows 10 has a built-in Zip program where you need to double-click the zipped folder to access the content and then open files. If you want to use those zipped files, you need to unzip or extract them before.
How do I create a multiple ZIP file in Windows 10?
If you want to compress multiple files in Windows 10, you have to follow the following steps.
- At first, you need to use “My Computer” or “Windows Explorer” or “File Explorer” on Windows 10 to select the files you want to zip.
- Now, locate the Ctrl key and hold it down and then click on your desired file that you want to zip.
- After that, you need to right-click => select “Send To” and then select “Compressed (Zipped) Folder.”
Why can’t I open a zip file?
There are multiple reasons that sometimes retard you to open a zip file. Here you can get those reasons.
- When you cannot download the zip file properly due to a bad internet connection or inconsistency in the network connection.
- For the improper compression due to low battery or abrupt power failure.
- For the file corruption-related issue, you can’t open the zip file.
- When you change the file extension, and that change won’t support Windows.