Google Chrome is approvingly used for all operating systems, including Linux, Ubuntu, Mac, and Windows. As an Ubuntu user, you will not get Chrome on the repository system. You have to install it using some package files.
It will provide you with a unified browsing experience, and if you intend to get the browser on your Ubuntu OS, then following the guideline regarding how to install Google Chrome on Ubuntu 20.04 will lead you to the end.
Today, we will deliberate some effective methods, and you can set Chrome on your operating system using any of them. So without further ado, let’s get started right now.
Can I Install Google Chrome on Ubuntu?
Ubuntu is a Linux distribution, and it’s a free, open-source Linux operating system. As Google Chrome is not open-source, that is why the Google Chrome doesn’t come with the Ubuntu, and thus it is not available on the Ubuntu software repository. You have to download it through other techniques using the extensions packages.
Ubuntu offers multiple variants with frequent updates, and it is able to accept various desktop environments. Google chrome browser has the most comprehensive users in the world and is suitable for all kinds of operating systems. So, using Chrome in Ubuntu will give you extra clearance.
How to Install Google Chrome on Ubuntu 20.04?
In two ways, you can install the browser on your device; in the two methods, you can apply a graphical Debian package or the Wget command, but before that, you have to use some prerequisite steps.
Before applying the process, update your current Ubuntu package to minimize the software clash, and even if you skip the update then, while chrome functioning in the old version may not give a satisfactory user experience.
Sudo Apt Key
Google Chrome for Ubuntu only offers 64-bit, and it will require Sudo access for rooting. Though most of the time, the Sudo extension comes with the package system. So, if the programming language is like the given in the box, then you don’t need to add any.
|sudo apt install apt-transport-https ca-certificates curl software-properties-common wget -y|
This is the mandatory package for the Google chrome installation. As this is a proprietary program, Ubuntu 20.04 default system repository doesn’t support direct installing the Chrome browser.
You must have manually added it. So without this, the process will remain incomplete. Use the following code language command to have the package.
|wget -q -O – https://dl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | sudo apt-key add –|
Update the APT for Refreshing the Package
After downloading the package keys, it needs to update the APT, and thus it will refresh the current version and will remove all the caches. Follow the given command for the update.
|sudo apt update|
After all the initial process now, you can start the installation procedure. From the two methods, you can pick any.
- Go to the official Google chrome page and click on the download as it’s only available on 64-bit, so you don’t need to pick the size.
- After clicking on the Download button, it will ask you to select between Debian and RPM installer, and for Ubuntu, you have to pick the Debian installer or deb. file.
- Now click on the ok after selecting the location.
- Extract the file from the directory and open it for the installation process. Double click on the file, and the command will start installing directly from the software center.
- After the complete installation, click on the Ubuntu terminal or open it from the Gnome and search Chrome. Drag the icon from the menu to the desktop; now, you can use Google chrome from the favorite.
CLI Terminal Method
- Extract the terminal Ctrl + Alt + T keys together or you can manually open it.
- Now using the command download the latest version of Google Chrome browser. Under the command, all the instructions are included so you don’t have to select anything.
|$ wget https://dl.google.com/linux/direct/google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb|
- Open the default or customize the directory where the file is located using this command.
|$ cd ~/Downloads|
- Extract the Executable file using the following command.
|$ sudo dpkg -i google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb|
- It will verify the current exe file and confirm the authentication.
- Open the Ubuntu Gnome menu and run the Google chrome from there or you can drag it to the desktop screen.
Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q’s):
How to Uninstall Google Chrome from Ubuntu Using Graphical Method?
If you are not finding the chrome useful, removing it will not create any hassle. Open the software from the web, or if it’s pre-download, then you can directly look for it.
Find “Google Chrome,” and in the middle, you will see the remove option and click on it to remove the browser. Note that this process will not erase the other package files.
Does Using Chrome on Ubuntu will Cause Privacy Damage?
Google chrome records the user’s location and searches for placing the ads according to the user’s needs for the revenue purpose. Where in Mozilla Firefox, you will not face this type of issue.
So, Firefox is safer than Google Chrome, but if you want to use it safely, then use Incognito mode or turn off the location mode.
How to Open Google Chrome on Ubuntu?
Directly type Google Chrome on the ubuntu terminal; it will open up the file. Rather, you can also open it from the Ubuntu Gnome desktop, open the activities, and type Google chrome on the search box, click on the icon to open the browser.
We have discussed two methods for installing Google Chrome on Ubuntu. Both works perfectly, and Graphical User Interface is the oldest method. You can also get Chromium in the Ubuntu software repository, but it’s not an alternative to the Original Google Chrome.
Hopefully, you have understood both two methods of how to install Google Chrome on Ubuntu 20.04. In order to add browser to your operating system, you can go through any discussed technique. And note that you must need the package files to complete the process.
You may also interested to know:
- how to set up wsd on windows 10
- how to type an umlaut on windows 10
- windows 10 lock screen settings not saving
- how to get around administrator restrictions
- how to record myself on windows 10
- how to convert mov to mp4 on windows 10
- where are sticky notes stored windows 10
- how to type umlaut on windows