This is a step-by-step guide on how to restrict access to a folder in Windows 10.
No matter what will be the scenario, it is indispensable to restrict other users from accessing your personal files or documents. At the end of the day, you don’t like someone or your friends to see your secret documents unauthorizedly, right.
But the fact is- whether you can lock any specific files or not depends on multiple criteria (we covered each of them).
In this actionable guide, we described 6 step-by-step processes to prevent unauthorized access to a folder in Windows 10.
So, dive deeper and try out the 6 steps to protect your important files.
Change Folder Permission
You can change folder permission in your windows 10 to restrict your folder from unexpected accesses. The best factor about the windows folders is that they will give you the control over folder permissions. With the help of folder permission, you will have control over the irrelevant user access. There is no doubt, this will make you more secure and relaxed.
The other benefit of this feature is, you will be notified whenever someone will try to access your folder. This permission denied error message will show you the access attempt timing also.
Facts you should know about Folder permission
Before using folder permission, you should know some essential facts about Folder Permission. I am mentioning all of the important factors. Read carefully.
- Folder permission is available only on NTFS file systems. That means, for making restricted your folder, it must be in an NTFS formatted drive. If you don’t know about your file format, make a right click on drive.
- You will find the target folder. From this you can select properties. After this, you can see the drive file system under the general tab. It will show you NTFS right next to the file system.
- Your user account must be present for making your folder restricted.
- Make sure you know the user account name.
Now, you know about the facts for making your folders restricted in the computer. Now I will show you the procedure with pictures. Keep watching.
Restrict user Access to Folders with Folder Permission
- First of all, search your folder that will be restricted. Now you have to open this file’s properties from the right click menu. In the properties of windows 10, you will see a security option. Now, go to the security tab. This option is listed under the Group or user name section. But, if you don’t see the option, click on the edit button.
2.Now, you have to add the username. Click on the add button. This button will appear under the group or user name section.
nk space. Click on the check names button.
3.Now, write down your username in the bla
4.It’s the time for selecting the newly added user account. Now you will see the full control checkbox. Choose the Deny column and apply it.
After tapping on the apply button, you will see a warning message. Read the message and click on Yes.
5.For completing the procedure, select the Ok button.
Now you are Done! Your unexpected access will be restricted if you don’t permit anyone. If they try to open your restricted folder, he or she will see a message. After seeing this, if they click on the continue button, they will see another message. The message will be like this picture.
I hope this procedure will help you.
Question1: How to hide files from other users?
Answer: Okay, I will show the easiest technique for this. I am sure you will be helped. Do follow my steps for a good experience.
- Above all, you have to open the File Explorer.
- Now, which folder you want to hide, navigate it.
- Okay, make sure you are clicking on the properties after right click the item.
- You will see the general tab option. On the general tab and under the attributes, check the hidden option.
- Now, click on the apply button.
Your files will no longer be available for other users. They can’t see this. Be relaxed now.
Question2: How to unhide the user folder in Windows 10?
Answer: If you want to make your user account unhide, you can follow my instructions.
- First, you have to select the start button. Now, choose the control panel from appearance and personalization.
- Now, select the folder option.
- Open the view tab.
- Under the advanced settings, you can see an option where mentioned, Show hidden files.
- Final step is, from the hidden files, folders and drives you will select the Ok button.
Now your folder is no longer hidden.
Question3: How do I find my hidden files?
Answer: If you forget about your hidden file location, then there are no worries. I am showing the right pathway. You will find your hidden files again.
- Click on the start and you can see the search option. Click on it also.
- Select all files and folders option,
- Now, more advanced options will appear. Click on.
- Then, choose the search system folders and search hidden files.
- Select the folders check box.
- Now, enter your folder name and click on the search button.
Your hidden is here. Now you can access.
Question4: Which command is used to display hidden files?
Answer: Attrib command.
Yes, the attrib command is used to display hidden files. Using this command, line command dir/ah displays your files with a hidden attribute.
Question5: How do I unhide files using attrib command?
Answer: Okay, follow my instructions. I am showing you easily.
- Tap on windows +X keys. Now select the command prompt. Remember that, you have selected the command prompt as administrator. There is an alternative I am mentioning that also. Click on the windows icon and select the search. Type command prompt. It will be open.
- Determine the name of drive now, where your files are hidden.
- Type attrib-h-r-s/s/d G:/*.
Overall, if you are thinking about making your folders restricted you have to take help of folder permission. You will be benefited with this. If you think your fellows are dangerous to you, just make sure of your security. Use the right way of folder permission to do this. After-all, your data and information are precious. Make your privacy.
I think you don’t have the question How to restrict access to a folder in windows 10 now. Hoping, you have got your answer. Now, apply the instruction in your windows 10 and be secure. Good luck!