In Windows 10, the Game Bar is a handy little tool that gamers can use to continue sharing their gaming excellence. Nevertheless, this feature is not always desired as it may disrupt your experience. More importantly, if you are a non-gamer this nifty tool is of no use to you.
Besides, it consumes a large amount of device resources, since the Xbox services continue to run in the background. As a result, if you don’t have a highly configured PC, you may want to disable or turn off Xbox Game Bar on Windows 10 to avoid the lagging.
In this Windows 10 tutorial we’ll guide you step by step on how to turn off Xbox game bar Windows 10. We’ll discuss this in a simple manner so any user can adopt our methods and be able to solve the problem. Follow the guide below.
There are four different methods you can use to turn off Xbox Game Bar in Windows 10.
One: Using Settings App
There are three simple steps you can follow to disable the Xbox game bar and Game DVR. You can configure this using your Settings app only. You can disable your Xbox game bar from your Windows 10 completely if you want to. Now follow the below-mentioned tutorial that we have discussed for you.
Step 1: First, click on the Windows icon and select the Settings option.
Step 2: In the next window click on “Gaming” and open the Captures tab. Then toggle off “Record in the background while I’m playing a game”. Doing so you will turn the background video recording Off and your system will be much faster.
Step 3: Next, go to the Xbox Game Bar tab and toggle off the “Enable Xbox Game Bar for things like record game…”. This would also free up a lot of resources, allowing your PC to run faster. In future, if you want to use Xbox Game Bar then toggle it On.
Two: Using Registry Editor
Using the Settings app is the straightforward way you can find. But if you want advanced methods then you can use the Registry Editor. Here’s how to do it:
- First go to the Windows search box in the taskbar and type regedit and press Enter.
- Then click on Yes to run Registry Editor as administrator
- Now, click HKEY_CURRENT_USER to expand. Also click SOFTWARE, Microsoft, Windows, Current Version, and Game DVR consecutively.
- Next from the right panel right click on the AppCaptureEnabled and from the value data 1, change it to 0.
Extratip: In order to turn off the Game DVR change the value data of HistoricalCaptureEnabled key.
Three: Using Group Policy
The third method would be using Group Policy but this method is not befitting with Windows 10 Home edition. Here’s the process:
- First you have to press Windows Key + R on your keyboard simultaneously to open up the Run box.
- Then type msc in the box and press Enter.
- You’ll get the Local Group Policy Editor window.
- From there click on Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, and Windows Game Recording and Broadcasting consecutively to expand the options.
- After that from the right panel select Windows Game Recording and Broadcasting and right click on it to Enable or disable the feature.
- Lastly, click on Disable and tap on Ok to finish the process.
Four: Using Windows Powershell (Admin)
If you want to turn off Xbox Game Bar completely just because you will use external overlay systems, you can easily do this via Windows 10’s PowerShell. Here’s how to do it:
- At the beginning right click on the Windows start button.
- Then select Windows PowerShell (Admin)
- Now on the prompt window type:
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.XboxGamingOverlay | Remove-AppxPackage
and then press Enter.
PowerShell will operate the things mentioned and the next time you’ll be prompted to search for an app whenever you try to open Xbox Game Bar.
How to disable Game DVR:
Game DVR records gameplay in the background which is a part of Game Bar. It helps you to save a specific moment from your gaming session whenever you want. As you can capture random moments from your gaming session it makes the experience a lot more fun. In contrast, it also requires a significant amount of system’s resources, so if you’re experiencing performance issues, turning off this function can help.
- Like we discussed earlier, go to the Settings from the Windows start button.
- Then select Gaming and tap on Game DVR.
- Lastly turn the following option Off which is named Record in the background while I’m playing a game and you successfully disabled Game DVR.
How do I turn off Xbox overlay?
Answer: In order to turn off Xbox overlay you should follow the steps below:
- From the Windows start menu go to the Settings app. You can use the shortcut key Windows Key + I.
- Then open up the Gaming section
- Next, from the left menu choose the Game Bar, and using the Game bar option-click to disable Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcasting.
Why does the Xbox game bar keep popping up?
Answer: The reason your Xbox game bar is popping up is that you have checked the box named “Show tips when I start a game”.
- To stop the popping up go to Game bar settings. You can use the shortcut Win+G to open the Game bar.
- Then at the game bar window click on the Settings button.
- Now, on the left side, you’ll get the General tab, uncheck the box named Show tips when I start a game, and close to finish the process.
So, these are the methods you can use to disable or completely remove Xbox Game Bar from your Windows 10 system. If you don’t play games on your system then you should adopt these methods to boost up your PC speed. You can also check out our other contents as well. Do let us know in the comment section whether you are able to turn off Xbox Game Bar or not.