To err is human but as a human, we are all likely to make some silly mistakes such as, accidentally deleting our important files from the computer. Suppose, you are rushing to work, and trying to take some important files. Also, you worked so much last night to get these files ready. Suddenly, you pressed the delete button. What happens next? What if it gets permanently deleted? You may start looking for where are deleted files in Windows 10?
However, don’t go crazy yet. Because we have the perfect and easiest solutions. We can guarantee you that in the next few minutes, you can recover your files yourself. So, follow our processes now!
5 Different Ways to find the Deleted Files in Windows 10
1. Recycle Bin
If you delete a file, where is it likely to go? Recycle Bin, of course. If you delete a file accidentally, no need to worry at all. You can easily check the recycle bin and restore your deleted file. Do you know how to restore a deleted file from Recycle Bin? In case you can’t remember, follow these steps:
- First, open the Recycle Bin. There you will find your deleted files. Then, click twice and press Enter on the file you want to bring back. A window will appear, and click Restore. You can find the file from where it’s being deleted.
2. Windows Backup
Surprisingly, you can recover your deleted data from Windows backup. Check if you have any recent backups and restore them. Here’s how can do it:
- To begin with, you need to search for the Control Panel in the search bar and enter.
- Then click Backup and Restore which is under System and Maintenance.
- After that, click Restore my files. If this option is not available, click ‘Select another backup to restore files from.’ Windows will restore your files through a series of processes.
3. Restore the previous version
Want to know where are the deleted files in Windows 10? If you can’t find them, no need to worry. Besides, you can easily find them by restoring the previous versions. Follow these steps:
- Select the folder from where the file got deleted. Right-click on that folder and select ‘Restore Previous Versions.’
- You will be able to see some available versions from history. Choose the appropriate file. After that, click ‘Restore’ and ‘OK.’
4. Command Prompt
Surprisingly, you can recover your lost files with a series of commands. Follow the steps:
- Type ‘cmd’ or ‘Command Prompt’ in the search bar and then right-click on the command prompt to choose ‘Run as administrator.’
- Now follow the commands carefully. At first, type “chkdsk Y: /f” and press enter. Instead of “Y” type your hard drive letter (C, D, E, F, G) from where the file was lost.
- Again type “ATTRIB -H -R -S /S /D Y: *. *” and press Enter. Here, “Y” is the name of the hard drive.
Windows will start the recovery process in a moment. Furthermore, this process will take some time. So, have patience and do not interrupt the process.
5. Data Recovery Software
Some software programs can help bring back your lost files. Disk Drill is a type of recovery software and useful, indeed. Also, it’s easy to operate. Furthermore, with just some clicks, you can bring back your files from dead. Surprisingly, this software’s free. So, download this software from your browser now and follow these steps.
- After downloading, install the Disk Drill.
- Launch the app. Then choose the ‘Search for lost data’ option which you will find next to the hard drive from where you want to recover.
- After that, you may see a bunch of files. Select the files that you want to restore.
- After selection, click ‘Recover.’
Disk Drill is free. But it won’t allow recovering more than 500 Mb data without paying. Though it’s worth paying, for some important lost data.
Where are deleted files stored in Windows 10?
Usually, you can find deleted files stored in the Recycle Bin. It’s just like a dust bin, indeed. However, follow these steps to restore from Recycle Bin.
- First, open the Recycle Bin. There you will find your deleted files. Then click twice and press Enter on the file you want to bring back. A window will appear and click Restore. You can find the file from where it’s being deleted.
Can you retrieve deleted files on Windows 10?
Yes, you can retrieve deleted files on Windows 10. If it’s not permanently deleted, you will find it in the Recycle Bin. You can restore it easily. But if it gets permanently deleted, you will have to try another way.
- Windows Backup: Search for the Control Panel in the search bar and enter.
Then click Backup and Restore which is under System and Maintenance. After that, click Restore my files. If this option is not available, click ‘Select another backup to restore files from.’
- Restore the previous version: Select the folder from where the file got deleted. Right-click on that folder and select ‘Restore Previous Versions.’ You will be able to see some available versions from history. Choose the appropriate file. After that, click ‘Restore’ and ‘OK.’
In these two ways, you can easily retrieve permanently deleted files.
Where do deleted files go if not in recycle bin?
If not in Recycle Bin, then the files are deleted permanently. Though you can bring them back from backups.
You can easily recover deleted files because they remain in the Recycle Bin. Recycle Bin’s your friend as long as you do not permanently delete them. Mostly Shift + delete does the magic of deleting files permanently. But now that does not matter at all because you know where are deleted files in Windows 10 and how to bring them back.
Hope this article fixed your problem and have a productive year.